Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Will It Be Like the The Office TV Show?

I'm getting a job. The more I think about it, the more I figure there must have been something to what my parents were trying to teach me with that work crap. So, to that end, I made an appointment this afternoon and had an interview at a temp agency. I had to fill out these forms, but the strange thing was that I actually remembered the last name of one my old bosses, Wylie. I don't know how it came back like that. I hadn't thought about her in so long, I figured the name was gone forever. Hell, maybe it's not even right, but it's strange what a little sobriety can do for the mind. A little later, I got to arbitrarily make up my typing speed. Look how fast I'm typing this. It must be a thousand wpm.

Then I got to the strangest question, "Briefly describe yourself and the qualities of your ideal job." I didn't know what to say. I had the resume I wrote years ago, completely filled with bullshit. I could have copied the "career goals" and "about me" from there, but that didn't seem right. I thought about this blog, the biggest contribution to society I've made in the past year. I considered writing about my super power, explaining what it feels like to fly, but I wouldn't want to jeopardize my secret identity.

I don't know what I'm looking for, why I went in there. I've never thought much about where I wanted to work, just what I could get and what I could get away with.

I know what I don't want to do, but I couldn't imagine an ideal job. A year ago, I might have said superhero. Maybe it's an ideal job for someone, but not me. The woman there said they mostly fill office jobs, so my improbably fast typing speed is probably gonna get me typing jobs. I can request things if I want, but that's a big if. Why did I do this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home